Contact us by email or phone.
Divorce move for Saatchi and Lawson
The 10-year marriage of TV cook Nigella Lawson and millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi is due to be ended in a "quickie divorce" at the High Court.
A judge is expected to grant a decree nisi at a brief hearing in central London. Their case is listed among a number of others to be dealt with by District Judge Anne Aitken.
A decree nisi is a statement saying the court sees no reason why a divorce cannot be granted.
If it is granted, Saatchi, 70, and Lawson, 53, will then have to wait for a decree absolute, which is usually issued six weeks later and ends the marriage. It is thought the divorce will be rubber-stamped some time in September.
Pictures were published last month showing Saatchi holding his wife by the throat as they had an argument on the terrace of a restaurant.
He dismissed the incident as nothing more than ''a playful tiff'' but then accepted a police caution for assault. He said he had done so to stop the incident ''hanging over'' them.
Lawson, who has subsequently been pictured without her wedding ring, has described him as ''the exploder'' in the past due to his temper.
Saatchi later told the Mail on Sunday the pictures gave a ''wholly different and incorrect implication".
But he also told the newspaper: "I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.''
The couple confirmed they would not make any financial claims against the other, ruling out prolonged legal arguments. That is one reason why the so-called "quickie divorce" is progressing swiftly.